Well in between busting out dinner and helping the kids after school, I have a few minutes today. I opted to hop on the computer and do my "one thing that can't get undone". And look at that, it's a blog post again!
Today I thought I'd share three topics that I have found are in a way therapeutic for me to think or write about. On days that I'm in a funk or stressed or down about life its really a great exercise to consider things that I'm looking forward to, things I'm struggling with and things that I'm genuinely grateful for. It helps me see to the positive things that I have going for me today and in the future and it helps me to work through some of the tough things. I'd suggest you do it too! Try to think of three for each category and I think you'll feel a load lifted and have a better outlook to face the day with.
Here's how I'm answering these three today:
Things I'm looking forward too:
- Girl's night tonight watching The Bachelor. I haven't ever had a consistent watch party with friends, but I've started watching this season of the Bachelor with friends and wow is it more fun! I can't believe the jabs and jokes and hilarious things that are said as we watch together. I'm laugh my head off and enjoy every minute of it.
- Kesler starting preschool next week. He has been waiting a long time for it to start back up again and I'm so excited for him to have something to go to each week. We aren't big on paying for preschool at this house, but one of the local high schools offers a basically free preschool as part of their child development class. We love it. Kesler went last year and I'm sure he'll enjoy it again this year.
- A sneak peek at progress on our store this weekend. We'll be photographing the demo/build on Saturday. It's hard to believe we'll be opening in just a few short months, but being there in person and seeing it in the works really makes it feel more real.
Things I'm struggling with:
- Comparing myself to others. Since having Baker I've had a lot more time to spend on my phone browsing IG or Facebook or blogs. I spend a lot of time nursing ya know? But I have really noticed it taking a toll on my self esteem. I usually have pretty high self confidence, but lately I've been pretty down on myself for everything I do. I could go into it more, but I'm sure you get the gist of it. I'm trying to step back from it a bit and shift my perspective before it becomes any more damaging. I know social media is a trap, but boy, is it easy to fall into!
- Time. There is never enough time. I sure love my baby, but he is such a time sucker. I'm having a hard time keeping up with just about anything and that just feels crappy. I know this too shall pass and that things will keep getting better, but this week has been off to a rough start.
- Difficult work decisions. I don't have a degree is business or marketing or anything like that. My degree is in Nutrition and those health and chemistry classes aren't doing anything to help me with my current job description. I'm doing my best and thankfully Soren has a wealth of business school knowledge, but it's hard when I have to ask him questions about everything. Especially hard if you are as prideful as I am! :)
Things I'm genuinely thankful for:
- Our family vacation last week. It was so nice to get away and have such a fun trip together. It was busy and exhausting and expensive, but totally worth it in every way. I'm planning a post where I collect all of our tips and ideas for anyone making a similar trip in the future!
- Soren going to Sams Club for me today. It's a little thing, but man am I glad to have a minute to sit and blog rather than deal with kids and a giant cart full of groceries.
- My kids, especially the baby. Baker may be my biggest challenge as far as winning at life right now, but he sure makes me feel like a winner. His little smile or Knox telling me he loves me SO much totally turns me to mush. I'm so thankful for sweet boys that I am able to let run my life for right now. They are certainly are top priority and the best things I have going for me. :)
So take a stab at it? I'd love to hear if these three help you too!