2. Neutral Sneaker - I tried to stay away from sneakers for as long as I could, but I have actually really embraced some styles of them. My favorite neutral sneaker is the white or off-white Converse low-top. I wear mine with everything, and I think a very neutral colored pair is a great basic. I also love the Vans style slip on in a light neutral color for spring and summer. Wear these with shorts, graphic tees, sweatshirts, knit skirts, or even casual dresses.
3. Fashion Sneaker - As a SAHM, cute sneakers really go far, so having a colored or printed pair in addition to a neutral really is beneficial. I wear my neutral pair with bright or patterned outfits, and I wear my 'fashion' sneakers with my neutral tees and jeans. My favorite option right now is a leopard slip-on, but the lilac Converse or the mint New Balance are awesome too. This shoe style works great with graphic tees, white tees, blue jeans, and really any solids or stripes.
4. Neutral Wedge - I don't wear heels often. I'm not sure where most fashion bloggers wear all of the heels that they style on their blogs, but even if I wasn't a SAHM, I don't think heels would be my shoe choice very often. I prefer wedges, and I think they give you the most bang for your buck. A tan or beige neutral wedge is the perfect dressier shoe for warm weather. It dresses everything up just a little. Try a black pair too, or even gray or white. Wear these with dresses, skirts, boyfriend jeans and a nice tee, or skinny jeans and blouse.
5. Ankle Boot - The ankle boot really has become common place in the last year, and it is here to stay. Ankle boots are a great year-round shoe because they can be dressed for warm or cool weather. I suggest a neutral gray/brown with a low heel if you are trying them out for the first time. Wear these with shorts, skirts, dresses, and even jeans in warm weather and then with jeans or corduroys and sweaters in the fall.
6. Ballet Flat - This is another style that works well for most of the year. I love that you can get a ballet flat in almost any color or print. If you only choose one, go for nude, but if you can, grab black and a bright color as well. Everyone should have at least one pair of ballet flats in their closet. They are comfortable, they can be casual or dressy, and you can find a pair for any occasion.
And those are my picks! Like I've said before, you don't have to go buy exactly anything that I recommend, but if you find you are missing some on the list, consider whether the missing styles could work for you. Will they make your current wardrobe stretch farther? I'm betting they will!
Did I miss any of your shoe essentials? What is your go-to shoe right now?