1. LONG TEE HACK
1. Cut undershirt in half, keeping the bottom 6-8 inches.
2. Before pic.
3. See how I layer it?
4. Tee extended!
2. DENIM JACKET TO DENIM VEST
1. Buy a denim jacket at the thrift store.
2. Start cutting the sleeves off as close to the sleeve seam as possible.
3. Clean up the edges.
4. Done. No hemming necessary.
I've blogged about this before, but it's worth saying again. It is so easy to make your own denim vest! The arm holes won't fray, and all it takes is one step! Finding the perfect jacket that you are willing to cut up is the hardest part!
3. ALTER A NEW ITEM
1. Purchase blouse with too much embroidery.
2. Carefully cut threads and pull out the stitching around the collar.
3. Wash and iron and find that the holes from the thread have disappeared.
This tutorial is mainly to show you that you can alter something that you purchase new if it isn't quite right. Don't be scared. I wanted to love this blouse at the store, but there was just too much neon stitching going on. My friend Ashley pointed out that I could easily pull out the thread and it would be just what I wanted. It was easy, and it really made the top something that I loved and couldn't find otherwise. I usually shop a thrift stores or on mega-clearance and one benefit to that is that I can cut up or alter things without fear of ruining them. I've worked up my confidence now so that I don't mind buying a new item with the intent to alter it. Sometimes that is the real fun anyway!
What DIY fashion have you taken on lately? Have you tried any DIY projects you have seen here?