When I decided to paint the kids' bathroom green with teal, I realized sea turtles might work as a theme. Cute, but not too cutesy. The deal was sealed when I found this soap dish on clearance.
I looked for a similar sea turtle print online or even a fabric I could use, but to no avail. I decided I would have to just create my own. I originally wanted to stamp the turtles, but couldn't find a reasonable way to do it in such a large size. They had to be done free hand. I measured out three 5"x7" and an 11"x14" peice of paper and started sketching from the picture I had printed up of the original pillow.
Next I used some acrylics to mix up the right shade of green. And I then got to painting. After the paint dried, I added a coat of gloss varnish just to give the flat paint and paper a sheen.
I then had to find my frames. I thrifted some and was planning on painting them white, but ended up liking the original brown wood quite well. One dilemma I ran into was finding a frame for the 11x14 print. I wanted to mat all of the prints, but the larger frames were too expensive, even at the thrift store, for this DIY. I brought home a 70's era 11x14 frame with the strip of cream canvas around the inner edge. I decided to paint a faux-mat around the inside edge of the frame over the canvas with white paint. It worked great!